The Diploma in General Dental Practice (DGDP) was established as a one-year full time training programme by the PGIM in 1986 as a joint programme for the hospital dental surgeons and the general dental practitioners (GDPs / private dental practitioners). The aim at that time was to provide an opportunity to enable hospital dental surgeons employed by the Ministry of Health get promoted to grade 1 in their career ladder and for the General Dental Practitioners in Sri Lanka to obtain an approved postgraduate training to upgrade their practices and to acquire a postgraduate qualification. The Board of Study in Dental Surgery decided to continue the existing Diploma as Postgraduate Diploma in Hospital Dental Practice (PGDHDP) for the dental surgeons attached to the Ministry of Health and the Armed Forces and to start a new programme for the General Dental Practitioners as Postgraduate Diploma in General Dental Practice (PGDGDP).
On completion of the PGDHDP the trainees should be able to
- demonstrate clear understanding of theoretical knowledge that is essential in the hospital dental practice
- display critical awareness of current issues in the field of dentistry
- apply appropriate clinical techniques efficiently and effectively relevant to hospital dental practice
- deal with issues related to the patient care systematically and creatively, and make sound judgments and communicate decisions clearly to others. demonstrate self- direction and originality in tackling and solving problems in hospital dental practice.
- critically analyse clinical data
To be eligible to apply for the PGDHDP the applicant should have
- A dental degree registered with the Sri Lanka Medical Council
- Satisfactory completion of a minimum of six years (06) in the Department of Health Services or defence services as at the date of closure of applications
- Any other criteria specific to the relevant training programme, approved by the Board of Management
- Comply with any other PGIM general regulations relevant to selection of trainees.
Please refer to the relevant prospectus for the most up to date information. The prospectus of a particular programme contains official information pertaining to a programme approved by the Board of Management, University Senate and the University Grants Commission