Training in Gastroenterology will be offered to those who have been successful at the MD (Medicine) examination. This will ensure that the gastroenterologists will be competent to deliver total medical care to patients, including management of general medical problems.
The Aim of the programme is to produce fulltime specialists in gastroenterology.
- The trainee eligible for Board Certification in gastroenterology should be able to demonstrate:
A sound knowledge in the basic sciences as related to gastroenterology and the changes during the different phases of life.
- An extensive knowledge of the patho-physiological processes of the diseases of the gastrointestinal tract, liver and biliary system, and pancreas.
- Skills in the diagnosis and management of pathological states presenting in gastroenterology practice.
- Correct attitudes for good clinical practice.
- The skills required for the organization of gastroenterology services and evaluate its outcome.
- The skills required to conduct audits and scientific research, with a view to contributing to the scientific knowledge in this field and participating in the task of improving gastroenterology services in the community.
- The skills required to be a medical teacher / resource person in order to impart medical education to medical personnel and the public.
- The ability to critically appraise research publications and practice evidence based medicine
The ability to maintain the highest standards of professionalism, moral and ethical conduct
The commitment to engage in continuing professional development.
Applicants should have passed the MD (Medicine) examination. The candidates should not be already Board Certified in any medical field or have already applied to be enrolled in the training programme in any other subspecialty.
Please refer to the relevant prospectus for the most up to date information. The prospectus of a particular programme contains official information pertaining to a programme approved by the Board of Management, University Senate and the University Grants Commission