The Postgraduate in-service training programme of the Postgraduate Institute of Medicine of the University of Colombo will lead to the degree of MD (Obstetrics and Gynaecology) awarded by the University of Colombo.
The successful completion of post MD (Obstetrics and Gynaecology) training programme will entitle the trainee to be eligible for Board Certification by the Senate/Board of Management on the recommendation of BOS as a Specialist in Obstetrics and Gynaecology.
The objective of the training programme shall be to ensure that the trainee gains adequate knowledge, clinical acumen, procedural skills, communicative skills and attitudes which will enable him to; manage pregnancy and its complications, manage disorders affecting the female genital tract and problems in relation to human reproduction. The trainee should also acquire the professional skills to be an effective leader and a manager in the provision of sexual and reproductive health information and care, and organization of services.
The trainee will also need to be able to design and conduct audits and research projects, critically appraise research publications and be committed to the practice of evidence-based medicine and continuing professional development. The trainee will also be exposed to important areas in professionalism and moral and ethical conduct.
To be eligible to sit for the Selection Examination and to be selected for admission to the Programme, a candidate should fulfill all of the following eligibility criteria:
- Hold a medical degree registrable with the Sri Lanka Medical Council (SLMC).
- Complete an internship recognized by the SLMC.
- Complete one-year work experience in Sri Lanka, after internship.
- Produce a medical certificate from a Board-Certified Specialist Physician to confirm the general mental and physical fitness.
- Produce a certificate to confirm the participation in a Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) programme conducted by a professional organization
- Comply with any other PGIM regulations
Please refer to the relevant prospectus for the most up to date information. The prospectus of a particular programme contains official information pertaining to a programme approved by the Board of Management, University Senate and the University Grants Commission