The Specialty Board in Urological Surgery conducts a Post MD subspecialty training programme leading to board certification as a specialist in urological surgery. Changes in the higher education sphere in relation to training and assessments coupled with advances in the subspecialty have necessitated revising the training programme. The programme meets the requirements of the relevant qualification descriptors and level descriptors of the Sri Lanka Qualifications Framework and is set at Level 12 of the Sri Lanka Qualifications Framework.
The mission of this endeavour is ultimately to produce appropriately selected, properly trained, exquisitely competent and holistically caring Specialist in Urological Surgery who would be able to provide the best possible state-of-the-art urological services and expert attention in the care and follow up of those with urological conditions.
A Specialist trained in a subspecialty should:
- have appropriate diagnostic, operative, counselling, risk management, and medico-legal skills
- have appropriate professional attitudes
- be able to clearly document and prioritize problems
- be able to carry out and also supervise research and clinical audits
- be committed to Continuing Professional Development
- be able to disseminate knowledge effectively
- have adequate communication skills
- have adequate knowledge and skills in Information Technology
- have administrative and organizational skills
Outcomes, competencies, learning objectives and content areas of the post MD training programme are given in Annexure I of the prospectus. It is assumed that the trainee embarking on specialist training in the subspecialty has already acquired adequate core knowledge and skills in General Surgery. Hence the curriculum given focuses only on advanced training in the subspecialty.
- Successful at the MD Surgery examination conducted by the PGIM, University of Colombo.
- Trainee should not have been Board Certified by the PGIM in any other Specialty or Subspecialty.
Please refer to the relevant prospectus for the most up to date information. The prospectus of a particular programme contains official information pertaining to a programme approved by the Board of Management, University Senate and the University Grants Commission