The mission of this endeavour is to ultimately produce appropriately selected, properly trained, exquisitely competent and holistically caring Paediatric Radiologists who would be able to provide the best possible state-of-the-art radiological services and expert attention in the care and follow up of children with disease conditions, including being able to perform non vascular interventional and therapeutic procedures, where necessary.
Paediatric disease conditions differ from those of adults. Therefore it is necessary to have appropriately selected, properly trained, well skilled, knowledgeable dedicated, competent, efficient and holistically caring Paediatric Radiologists who can provide excellent state-of-the art medical imaging for children who need expert attention in the care and follow up of their disease conditions, including being able to perform non vascular interventional and therapeutic procedures, where necessary.
The aim of establishing a curriculum for subspeciality training in Paediatric radiology is to ensure that trainees:
- develop an in-depth understanding of, increase their familiarity with children’s disease and the practice of related radiology, emphasising the differences from adult practice
- understand the role of radiology in the management of sick children
- become sufficiently trained to become an integral member of the multidisciplinary teams required in hospitals providing full services to children
- acquire clinical knowledge relevant to medical and surgical management of Paediatric diseases such that the trainee may confidently discuss the appropriate imaging strategy for the clinical problem with the referring clinician
- acquire detailed knowledge of current developments in the speciality
- are subjected to direct practical exposure with appropriate guided supervision in all forms of Paediatric radiology and interventions and to consolidate and develop their practical skills
- acquire knowledge and skills to enable safe practice of analgesia and sedation
- become fully competent in paediatric life-support
The expected outcome at the end of this subspeciality training will be that the trainee can select the appropriate imaging strategy for Paediatric problems, supervise (and perform where appropriate) the examination(s) and accurately report on the findings and when necessary carry out interventional procedures. The trainee should be competent in all aspects of Paediatric radiology
- Passed the Radiology MD part II examination
- Trainee should not have been Board Certified by the PGIM in any other Speciality or Subspeciality
Please refer to the relevant prospectus for the most up to date information. The prospectus of a particular programme contains official information pertaining to a programme approved by the Board of Management, University Senate and the University Grants Commission